Whetstone Brook Genealogy seeks to help individuals understand their family history, by uncovering generations of family stories, artifacts, and documents, while using professional and trusted genealogical research standards.
I started Whetstone Brook Genealogy shortly after my retirement as the library director for 22 years of southern Vermont’s largest public library, Brooks Memorial Library. My academic credentials include :
- Bachelors of Arts, History, Colorado State University;
- Masters in Library Science from University of Texas at Austin;
- Certificate in Genealogical Research, Boston University;
- Graduate Research Institute Pittsburg, Pa., “Researching Italian Ancestors.”
In my past work as a reference librarian and library director, I have 37 years of experience in research,
organization, management, planning, technology, and writing.
- I am knowledgeable of libraries, archives and repositories of Vermont, Colorado, and Wyoming and can provide genealogical research for clients in all facets of family history, which also includes:
- Providing one-on one coaching for do-it-yourself amateur genealogists;
- Assisting people with a basic understanding of their DNA reports;
- Italian heritage research, especially southern Italian and Calabrian;
- Experience and knowledge of researching birth, marriage, and death records using the Italian online portal, Il Portale Antenati.
I am a member of several state, regional, and national genealogical associations, and I adhere to the Association of Professional Genealogist Code of Ethics and Professional Practices. My membership is current in the following organizations:
- Association of Professional Genealogists;
- New England Association of Professional Genealogists;
- National Genealogical Society;
- New England Historic and Genealogical Society;
- Vermont Genealogical Society.
“The professional genealogical research services provided by Jerry Carbone, of Whetstone Genealogy, are excellent. Carbone did research work for me, and his final report was detailed, thorough and presented in an insightful, creative and readable manner. Carbone provides supporting documentation in a presentation that is well organized, clearly cited and footnoted as appropriate. I highly recommend his genealogical research and reporting services.”–Mary I.
“I was impressed with your sleuthing and the details of family history – some of them surprising – that you uncovered! Your concise, well-written report read a bit like a literary narrative, but of facts gleaned from the public record. Thank you!”Jere P.
“We are so glad that we decided to ask Whetstone Brook Genealogy to delve into my husband’s family history. His grandparents were sharecroppers in Texas, so the information was not easy to find. Jerry was able to uncover many details, including finding my husband’s name and age listed on the 1940 census for the orphanage he was in! Jerry’s report included lots of fascinating detail from census records; birth, marriage, divorce, and death records; and even city directories. It has been an interesting journey! I don’t think we could have done this on our own.!”Carol D.